Renshaw and Peirson

From the opening overs of day two, it was clear that Queensland were not simply hunting more runs, they were hunting them quickly. After a patient performance yesterday, Matt Renshaw began to swing for the fences and crunched 18 boundaries along with five monster sixes before the declaration came.

One of those maximums brought about a scary moment as it appeared destined to hit the lone spectator on the eastern side of the ground. From the moment it left his bat, Renshaw was aware of the danger and actually called out to the fan, alerting them in enough time to avoid the flying ball they had previously been oblivious too.

At the other end, Jimmy Peirson preferred to keep the ball along the deck, but he also ensured the scoreboard attendants got their steps in due to his devastating rate of run accumulation. When he finally fell to a leading edge off the bowling of Chadd Sayers, the Queensland wicketkeeper had amassed 109 runs from just 125 deliveries, his maiden first-class century.

One Brings Two

It is an inspiring chirp heard from slip cordons the world over for a reason; so often the fall of one wicket brings a second, which in turn brings a third. This cricketing adage was in full effect on day two, and it begun when Redbacks skipper Travis Head was adjudged LBW to a Mitchell Swepson delivery that spat violently out of the rough.

Head and Will Bosisto had been together for 132 deliveries up to that point, having mounted a recovery from the loss of both openers for just 57 runs. 38 deliveries later, Bosisto became Brendan Doggett’s second victim of the innings, caught at point for 38 from 139. Wicketkeeper Harry Nielsen would then last just two balls to give Doggett his third. Suddenly, after constructing a solid partnership, the Redbacks had fallen from 2/115 to 5/129. And unfortunately for the home side, it would only get worse from there.

Ferguson’s (2nd) Last Stand

Callum Ferguson’s state called on him to mount a resistance this evening, and as he has done for the better part of two decades, he responded. Coming in with the score 3/115, the problem for the 124-game veteran was finding a partner able to stick with him. When Liam Scott became the victim of a contentious LBW decision, the floodgates opened for the Redbacks and Ferguson found himself opposite Wes Agar, the number 10.

Agar showed against Victoria last week that he has some ability with the stick, hitting his highest first-class score at almost a run-a-ball. Today, his task was to hold out with Ferguson until the umpires called stumps, and the big quick got within ten minutes of that target before becoming Swepson’s fifth of the dig. Remarkably, the haul is Swepson’s third consecutive five-wicket performance, beginning with a stunning game against NSW last week. Number 11 Lloyd Pope then grabbed the baton and stayed strong until the day was called to a close, set to resume with Ferguson tomorrow morning.