The Association’s role has evolved from organising club cricket to managing, promoting and developing the game of cricket in South Australia. It is a multi-million dollar business, employing more than 70 full-time staff involved in co-ordinating international and domestic cricket matches, cricket coaching and development programs, cricket umpiring, high performance cricket and ground management. The SACA administration offices are now based in level two of the Riverbank Stand, at the southern end of the ground.
Adelaide Oval was established on May 31, 1871. Cricket was first played at the oval in 1873 and Australian Rules Football was played in 1877. Since that time, 18 sports including archery, athletics, baseball, cycling, hockey, lacrosse, lawn tennis, rugby and soccer have all featured on the event calendar. The first Test match was played on Adelaide Oval in December 1884, but it was the infamous Bodyline Test in January 1933 that saw a record 174, 452 spectators flock to the oval to watch the cricket.
With the formation of SACA, the Adelaide Oval was leased in June 1872. A grandstand, which became the basis of the George Giffen Stand, was constructed in 1882 and was first used when England played South Australia that year. The mound was built in 1884 ready for the first Test Match between England and Australia which was played on the 12th of December. Further stands were added over the years, the last being the Sir Donald Bradman stand opened in 1990. The scoreboard, designed by F. Kenneth Milne, was built in 1911 and it remains one of the features of the oval.
Completed in April 2014, you can find more information about the $535 million redeveloped Adelaide Oval at: www.adelaideoval.com.au